St. John's East
Member of Parliament for St. John's East
- Jack Harris served as Member of Parliament for St. John’s East from 2008 to 2015, and is returning to Parliament to use his skills and experience to keep advocating for the issues that matter to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador and all Canadians.
- Jack has been a prominent New Democrat voice in the national media and in the House of Commons. He previously served as the NDP’s Public Safety critic, Justice critic, and – most notably – National Defence critic. While the National Defence critic for the Official Opposition, Jack was the Vice-Chair of the House of Commons Standing Committee on National Defence. He is currently serving as Critic for Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, Foreign Affairs, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, and as Deputy Critic for Defence.
- Jack pushed for greater support for our injured men and women in uniform, improvements to the military justice system, the reopening of Veterans Affairs offices across the country, and better search and rescue services. He persuaded the Defence Committee to undertake a study of air and maritime search and rescue and had the Committee visit our province and hold hearings in St. John’s and Gander.
- In the House of Commons, Jack spearheaded a motion to institute a round-the-clock 30-minute response time for air search and rescue. He also worked outside of Parliament to advance this important issue. This included requesting and being granted standing at the Offshore Helicopter Safety Inquiry, following the tragic 2009 Cougar helicopter crash.
- Jack also fought against the elimination of Canada Post home delivery, and against the decision to delay Old Age Security pensions and GIS to age 67. He’s been a strong advocate for quality, affordable childcare, affordable post-secondary education, good jobs for young people, and national pharmacare.
- Jack was first elected as an NDP MP in 1987. In 1990, he was elected as a Member of the Newfoundland and Labrador House of Assembly. Jack served as an MHA for 16 years, and as leader of the provincial NDP for 14 years.
- Born in St. John’s, Jack is a graduate of Memorial University, the University of Alberta and the London School of Economics. Jack has experience in community organizing, journalism and law, and was a senior labour lawyer for many years. In the 1990s he successfully represented former residents of the Mt. Cashel Orphanage, survivors of sexual abuse seeking redress and compensation from the Christian Brothers and the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Jack is married to Ann Martin, a St. John’s lawyer, and they have three adult children.
Liberals and Conservatives voted against prescription drug coverage for Canadians
ST. JOHN’S – Yesterday, Liberals and Conservatives voted against the NDP's bill to provide pharmacare to Canadians. With millions of Canadians unable to afford the medication their doctors prescribe and COVID-19 exposing the gaps in our healthcare, a national, universal, public pharmacare program is needed now more than ever.more »
Harris writes to Minister of Transportation regarding Bell Island Ferry Service
Hon. Omar Alghabramore »
Harris remembers Ocean Ranger disaster and calls for action
Jack Harris, MP for St. John’s East issued this statement today to mark the thirty-ninth anniversary of the sinking of the Ocean Ranger.more »
Tweets from Jack